[R-pkg-devel] Reducing installed package size with --strip-debug

Ege Rubak rubak at math.aau.dk
Tue Oct 31 15:02:20 CET 2017

Hi,

Based on Dirk's blog post [1] about stripping debug information from the
shared object of my package `s2` I reduced the shared object file size
from 7 to 0.7 MB and get rid of a NOTE about the installed package size
(on my local Linux machine).

Dirk suggests that one could conditionally do this in the Makevars file
if the strip tool is available (typically the case on Linux). Does
anybody know what CRAN's take is on this?

Cheers,
Ege

[1]:
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2017/08/14/#009_compact_shared_libraries

--
Ege Rubak, Associate Professor,
Department of Mathematical Sciences, Aalborg University
Email: rubak at math.aau.dk