[R-pkg-devel] Semantic versioning and maintenance releases

Shivaram Venkataraman shivaram.venkataraman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 19:09:41 CEST 2017

FWIW the patches in 1.6.3 are always a part of 1.7.0 -- its just that 1.7.0
has a lot of other new stuff in it as well and enterprises are sometimes
more likely to upgrade to a patch release rather than the next minor
version.

Overall I think my understanding from this thread is that one should see
CRAN as the package dependency manager which has the latest stable version
of a package and not necessarily all the available versions for a package.
For hosting prior versions including patch releases its typically better to
use a separate repository (e.g., github) and give users instructions on how
to use this. Of course in this case the user is taking responsibility of
figuring out if this version is compatible with all their other packages.

Thanks
Shivaram