[R-pkg-devel] r-quantities seeking feedback

Iñaki Úcar i.ucar86 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 21:23:11 CEST 2017

El 6 oct. 2017 19:13, "David Hugh-Jones" <davidhughjones at gmail.com>
escribió:

One question that comes to mind: what's the synergy? I e why are units and
errors best handled together? I use standard errors a lot, but never
units... I would like a standard way to represent uncertainty but don't
think I need the other stuff.

You will always be able to use errors (or units) alone if you wish, but
every measurement has a unit and some uncertainty, so we think it's
interesting to have the possibility of handling them in a unified way (I/O,
propagation, automatic axes and error bars in plots...).

Iñaki

Cheers,

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 at 17:25, Iñaki Úcar <i.ucar86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Edzer Pebesma and I are combining forces into a new GitHub
> organisation called "r-quantities", to which we have moved the CRAN
> packages 'units', 'errors' and 'constants'. The idea is to write a new
> package called 'quantities' to integrate 'units' and 'errors' into a
> comprehensive solution for dealing with quantity values + uncertainty
> calculus.
>
> Given that a significant fraction of R users, both practitioners and
> researchers, use R to analyse measurements, we believe that the R
> community would benefit from such a project. Moreover, to the best of
> our knowledge, there exists no such an integrated and automated
> framework outside the R language.
>
> We would like to share a proposal [1] to be submitted to the R
> Consortium before October 15. Until then, we kindly invite the R
> package developers to review it. Any feedback or contribution would be
> very helpful.
>
> [1] https://github.com/r-quantities/proposal
>
> Regards,
> Iñaki