[R-pkg-devel] tibbles are not data frames

Jens Oehlschlägel Jens.Oehlschlaegel at truecluster.com
Wed Sep 27 12:21:01 CEST 2017

On 27.09.2017 01:00, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I think R Core would not be interested in a vote, because you'd be
> voting to give them work to do, and that's really rude.

Voting about other people's work is indeed a problem. This is were I
hope money from the R Consortium could help, assuming they are serious
about contributing to the community (and serious about protecting their
investments into interfacing R).

> What would have a better chance of success would be for someone to
> write a short article describing the proposal in detail, and listing
> all changes to CRAN and Bioconductor packages that would be necessary
> to implement it.  That's a lot of work!  Do you have time to do it?

Specifying all the consequences of such a change in detail is a similar
amount of work than actually doing it. Are you suggesting that I do the
work alone? And predicting from past experience the chances that R-core
would accept my suggestion: guess what I would do?

Such improvements of the language should be suggested by everyone who
sees need, filtered through a voting process open to every user (flagged
for package authors to get an early picture of their votes), the
promising changes planned in detail by R Core (given a budget for
implementation from the R-consortium), confirmed by a voting process of
all package authors and then put on a sufficient long-term roadmap. So
if R Consortium and R Core commit to such a process and you ask me if I
am willing to compile a first list of suggestions for change: I don't
have time but I would collect and consolidate input from this list. Any
volunteers for organizing a voting system assuming the above commitments?

Best

Jens