[R-pkg-devel] loadMethod() not available with Rscript

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Sep 20 16:45:56 CEST 2017

Thierry,

This has always been a considerable puzzle, and the source of some amusement,
to me.  It is a clear design bug in Rscript because _code that would
otherwise work_ will not if it happens to rely on library(methods). S4 comes
to mind.  This has also been answered at least a few times on SO.

Now, 'r' from littler always did this differently and lods methods, just like
R itself does.  And 'r' still starts (way) faster as I once documented in a
blog post.

If someone from R Core reads this and nods silently: please put this to rest
and make sure Rscript also loads the methods package.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org