[R-pkg-devel] Skip running vignette code with package submission

Pamela Russell pamela.russell.ucdenver at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:42:08 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the CRAN maintainers skip running
the code in my vignettes along with R CMD CHECK. I've developed a package
that wraps a REST API for which authentication is required. My code fails
with a helpful error message if the user does not have a valid API key
installed locally.

I've instructed CRAN to skip the code in my tests (with skip_on_cran()) and
examples (with \dontrun{}), but I can't figure out how to ask them to skip
running the code in my vignettes. Therefore, with my submission, R CMD
CHECK fails with a WARNING:

* checking re-building of vignette outputs ... [3s] WARNING
Error in re-building vignettes:
Quitting from lines 56-58 (introduction.Rmd)
Error: processing vignette 'introduction.Rmd' failed with diagnostics:
Please request and store a valid API key (instructions:
https://github.com/pamelarussell/TCIApathfinder)
Execution halted

I included a comment about this along with my package submission, but I
believe no human saw it as the package failed an automatic check.

My package source is at https://github.com/pamelarussell/TCIApathfinder.

Thanks,
Pam Russell

Pamela Russell
Research Instructor
Department of Biostatistics and Informatics
Colorado School of Public Health
pamela.russell at ucdenver.edu