[R-pkg-devel] installing packages from github

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 16:37:24 CEST 2017

Disclaimer: I built install-github.me. More below.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Berry Boessenkool
<berryboessenkool at hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I had never seen this before (probably just missed it) and install-github.me only shows "coming soon".
>
> So I wonder:
>
> - is this safe to use and platform compatible?

I am not sure what you mean by safe. It is just the collated R files
of https://github.com/r-lib/remotes, you can also read the code if you
are concerned: https://install-github.me/MangoTheCat/goodpractice

It should work on all platforms, please report bugs if it fails for you.

> - why isn't it more common?

I can't fully answer that, but at least partly because I am not
promoting it, and the r-lib team is not promoting it, either.
I believe that this is because we don't have consensus on whether it
is a good idea to teach people to source "random" code from the web.

> - are there yet better alternatives?

Better in what way?

> - do I miss something obvious?

I don't think so. :)