[R-pkg-devel] Including a jar file in a package

Barbara Lerner blerner at mtholyoke.edu
Wed Aug 23 18:07:43 CEST 2017

We are developing a package that makes a call out to a Java program.  We
have placed a jar file for this program in inst/java and it works
nicely.  However, when we run R CMD check, it results in a NOTE:

* checking installed package size ... NOTE
   installed size is 11.0Mb
   sub-directories of 1Mb or more:
     java  10.8Mb

Is it likely that CRAN would accept a package that includes a large
subdirectory like this?  If not, what is the recommended way to do
this?  The nice thing about our current solution is that the user of our
package does not need to separately install the Java program and deal
with Java's classpath.

Thanks for the advice.

Barbara

--