[R-pkg-devel] Error on rhub/fedora not appearing on CRAN

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:08:52 CEST 2017

Dear list,

I'm getting some false 'R CMD check' positives on rhub / Fedora: errors
appearing on rhub that are not reproduced by CRAN. I have reported the
matter here:

https://github.com/r-hub/rhub/issues/92

It happens reproducibly for at least two of my packages: validate and
lumberjack (I haven't tested any other yet).

In short, knitr tries to open a png device while compiling a vignette and
fails as follows.

W checking re-building of vignette outputs
  Error in re-building vignettes: ...
Warning in (function (filename = "Rplot%03d.png", width = 480, height =
480, :
  unable to open connection to X11 display ''

It runs fine on R-devel, R-oldrel, R on windoze, solaris, centos, my own
machines,..., and also on CRAN so it seems tied to rhub/Fedora.

I have tried the following things already

- Check whether R is called with xvfb-run (to simulate the X11 environment)
in rhub's log. That's the case
- Set up a minimal package with several vignettes and knitr settings, but I
could not reproduce it minimally.

If anyone has similar experiences it'd be nice to hear about it. Either for
a workaround, or to gather some evidence that we can pass to Gabor, if it
indeed is an rhub issue.

Cheers,
Mark