[R-pkg-devel] The Help (e.g. links) is not working for my packages
David.Kaethner at dlr.de
David.Kaethner at dlr.de
Mon Aug 7 09:41:21 CEST 2017
I am hoping to post to the right mailing list, if not apologies!
I have recently written my first couple packages, relying on devtools and roxygen. Everything is done in RStudio (details regarding the setup: see end of text).
But the help is not working! Specifically:
On Windows 7:
* functions: I cannot click the links in the 'help'-panel. Or at least nothing happens when I click them.
* DESCRIPTION: If I build the package locally, it has the same issues as the packages. If I install the packages from Github (devtools::install_github) or from a network drive, it works.
* The "my_package::my_function" syntax throws an error. Once I enter 'my_package::' and click TAB, the following error appears in the console: "Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : cannot open the connection"
* "?my_package::my_function" brings me to the function overview page for the package, but not to the help page for the my_function()
* the link itself (on the function overview page) looks inocuous: http://127.0.0.1:44391/help/library/helpers/html/my_function.html
I would love to do a Traceback on this, but I do not know how, since it only happens when hitting TAB. I have done a Traceback for "?my_package::my_function", it just returns the path to where the help should be, like "D:/Home/R/Rpackages/my_package/help/my_function".
On MacOS Sierra:
* DESCRIPTION can always be opened, no matter how the package is installed
* when clicking on functions in the help panel, the known error appears (as text in the help panel): "Error in gzfile(file, "rb") : cannot open the connection"
It gets much weirder: When installing the package for the very first time, it seems to work! But after that it quits working, even not when I delete the package, re-install R, re-install RStudio, and create the package from scratch.
I really wish I was kidding with all of this. I have tried every debugging-idea that came to my mind, including (but not limited to):
* the .Rd-files are generated, they definitely are not missing
* taking an auto-generated DESCRIPTION file
* removing every function file save for a test file
* copying content from a function file into the auto-generated "hello.R" file
* changing the encoding from UTF-8 to WINDOWS-1252
* as mentioned, trying everying both on Windows and MacOS, and trying different ways of installation
* as mentioned, re-installing both R and RStudio
I would enormously appreciate it if anyone has an idea how to get a handle on this, any suggestions are welcome!
* Windows 7 / MacOS Sierra
* R 3.4.1
* RStudio 1.0.153
* devtools 1.13.3
* roxygen2 6.0.1
[[alternative HTML version deleted]]
More information about the R-package-devel