[R-pkg-devel] Loading Libraries Outside of .lib.loc

Bill Denney bill at denney.ws
Wed Jun 28 22:23:33 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm working on a script to test my library (PKNCA) for what the minimum
required version of its dependencies are.  Specifically, I've received
bug reports when people are using versions of dplyr < 0.5.0.

To test my package against old versions of libraries, I'm installing old
versions of packages in separate directories with:

> dir.create("/tmp/current", recursive=TRUE)
> install.packages("devtools", lib="/tmp/current")

I then try to load the devtools library that I've just installed, and I
get an error:

> library(devtools, lib.loc="/tmp/current")
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘devtools’:
  .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'devtools', details:
   call: loadNamespace(name)
   error: there is no package called ‘withr’

I would have assumed that lib.loc would cause R to search within the
directory I just created for the dependencies, too.  But it doesn't
appear to do so:

> library(withr, lib.loc="/tmp/current")

(no error)

Is this intended behavior or a bug?  If intended behavior, I can
manipulate .lib.loc through something like:

assign(".lib.loc", envir=environment(.libPaths),
        c("/tmp/current", "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library",
          "/usr/lib/R/site-library", "/usr/lib/R/library"))

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Apologies if this would better fit on a more general mailing list,
but the only reason I'm bashing at library and install.packages is
related to package development and testing.