[R-pkg-devel] Package submission - Issue with pandoc in R CMD check

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:57:43 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Uwe Ligges
<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> On 22.06.2017 17:35, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>

>> On 22 June 2017 at 16:23, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
>> | So, along these lines, I was thinking if we could / should build a
>> | pandoc R package, that could just pull the right binary at install
>> | time.
>

> And drops it in the package? Then we cannot provide binaries for these
> package on CRAN unless we also copy the pandoc sources to CRAN, or do I get
> this wrong?

Is this a CRAN issue or a GPL issue? Several packages are actually
doing this already. E.g. all the windows binary packages that link to
static library, like the XML package to libxml2.
AFAIK the windows binary for XML contains a binary build of libxml2,
and I don't think the libxml2 sources are included anywhere in the XML
package.

I can't say anything for CRAN, but for the GPL, I think we are fine.

But if you think we are not, then yes, we can just put the pandoc
sources in the source package.

Gabor