[R-pkg-devel] Note about portable file names

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jun 11 16:05:11 CEST 2017

On 11 June 2017 at 16:46, Konstantin Sorokin wrote:
| On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     On 11 June 2017 at 15:18, Konstantin Sorokin wrote:
|     | Hello!
|     |
|     | When checking one of my packages I have following message:
|     |
|     | checking for portable file names ... NOTE
|     | Found the following non-portable file paths:
|     |   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/
|     facilities/is_empty_variadic.hpp
|     |   tarantoolr/src/third_party/msgpack-1.4.1/include/msgpack/preprocessor/
|     iteration/detail/bounds/lower1.hpp
|
|     Do you know about this package
|
|        https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppRedis/
|
|     using the package RcppMsgPack (currently in the off-CRAN repo ghrr-drat) ?
|

| Am I right in my understanding that then I'll be able to link with it and use
| msgpack (1.4) functions in C++ code without the need to include msgpack sources
| in my R package?

Yes! That is exactly what my RcppRedis does (though it does it currently
"conditionally" as RcppMsgPack was so far an optional package).

And I am right now brushing up RcppMsgpack, with an update from msgpack-c
bringing it from version 1.4.0 to 1.4.2.  I will upload this to CRAN, and
should it become accepted you can use 'LinkingTo:' to get its headers just as
you do with BH (for Boost) or other header-supplying packages.

Note that this is technically not 'linking' as we only consume headers. But
that works so well for C++, C++11, C++14, ... that it makes sense to provide
the headers.

At work, we have been writing and reading millions of records to Redis via
RcppRedis and RcppMsgPack so I may as well upload this now.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org