[R-pkg-devel] Changing a package's name

David Hugh-Jones davidhughjones at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 15:51:49 CEST 2017

Hello all,

A short while ago I released the "huxtable" package for writing HTML and
LaTeX tables:
https://www.github.com/hughjonesd/huxtable

The name seemed cute to me, but I later found out that to Americans it has
special associations. The Huxtables were the family in the Cosby show. That
would be fine, except that Bill Cosby is now on trial for one case of rape,
and there are accusations of many other cases.

So, two questions:

* Do you think I should change the name?

Comments welcome from Americans and others on this difficult cultural issue.

* If I do, what's the best and least disruptive way to do it? Bear in mind
that I have a couple of thousand users.

My first thought would be to release an update which gives a warning about
the future change when the package is loaded; then release a package with
the new name and continue development on this branch.

David