[R-pkg-devel] Windows tests for CRAN submission

Shivaram Venkataraman shivaram.venkataraman at gmail.com
Wed May 10 07:58:43 CEST 2017

Hi

I'm a first time package submitter to CRAN and have a question on how to
handle unit tests on Windows. The SparkR [1] package [2] file that we are
trying to submit passes "R CMD check  --as-cran" with no errors on both
Linux and OS X.

On Windows, the package builds successfully but requires additional
binaries [3] to be installed in order for the unit tests to run. While we
have a automated test runner that installs the binaries and runs tests on
every commit [4] on AppVeyor, when "R CMD check --as-cran" is run on
winbuilder, the tests fail.

Given this situation, is it possible to specify in our CRAN submission that
the package should only be tested on Unix machines ? Or is it recommended
that we include scripts to install the additional binaries during a CRAN
check on winbuilder ?

Thanks for your help and please let me know if any further details about
the package will help in resolving this.

Thanks
Shivaram

[1] https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/R
[2]