[R-pkg-devel] Issue with including vignettes without building package

Alexandre Courtiol alexandre.courtiol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:09:02 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I am using a package for teaching:
my slides are html vignettes, and it is convenient for students to control
which packages they must install, provide code and datasets.

As I am often editing the package live during the course, it would be great
if I could just push to github and that the student would just have to run
a devtools::install_github() to get my updated vignettes. I would rather
not to have to build the package before pushing to save time.

The issues is that I do not want to build the vignettes on install as they
are very slow to build. On my computer however it is quick because I have
cached the knitr chunks output. So I was hoping to just have to run
devtools::build_vignettes() on my machine before pushing the files thereby
created (./inst/doc) and that the student could just
devtools::install_github().

I cannot make this work: no vignettes are found after install. When I do
check the repository beeing installed on their computers, the html, Rmd and
R files corresponding to the vignettes are present in ./doc, so it is not
an issue of having the wrong .gitgnore configuration.

I have read about many vignettes related issues on the net, but I did not
find something dealing with this precise issue.

PS: I know about the R.rsp hack, but I would prefer to find a solution more
direct.

Best,

Alex

--
Alexandre Courtiol

http://sites.google.com/site/alexandrecourtiol/home

*"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts"*, R. Feynman