[R-pkg-devel] Interplay between knitr() and View()

David Hugh-Jones davidhughjones at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:45:29 CEST 2017

Two questions:

1. If your package definitely needs to call View(), and you want to explain
how that will look, then why not show one or more screenshots in your
documentation?

2. Why does your package need to call View? Why can't it return the
metadata as a data frame, and let the user do what he wants with it himself
- using View(), head(), or any other tool?

Cheers

> > Hi All:
> >
> > My package allows the user to search for information about the data
> > available, and the information is returned in a dataframe. I had long
> been
> > looking for a nice way to display the results  (the datasets' metadata),
> > and wasn't too happy with anything until I tried the View() command,
> which
> > does exactly what I want.
> >
> > The problem is I can't seem to find a way to make View() and knitr() work
> > nice together in creating the vignette. Given the way View() works I
> doubt
> > there is a way,  but any suggestions of how I can show what the user will
> > see when the given the command in the package from within my vignette?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Roy
> >

> > **********************
> > "The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
> > Government or NOAA."
> > **********************
> > Roy Mendelssohn
> > Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
> > NOAA/NMFS
> > Environmental Research Division
> > Southwest Fisheries Science Center
> > ***Note new street address***
> > 110 McAllister Way
> > Santa Cruz, CA 95060
> > Phone: (831)-420-3666
> > Fax: (831) 420-3980
> > e-mail: Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/
> >
> > "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill."
> > "From those who have been given much, much will be expected"
> > "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" -MLK
> > Jr.

Sent from Gmail Mobile