[R-pkg-devel] Interplay between knitr() and View()

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 08:56:33 CEST 2017

I think that exactly what View() shows will depend on your operating
system. On my Linux box, I get a very plain spreadsheet with
everything in fixed-width font, thin black boxes, and a highlighted
cursor box. Numbers are left-justified. There's no scroll bars.

I don't know if it looks the same in Mac or Windows, or if there are
slight differences because the widget sets are different. Would it
matter to your vignette if it was?

What are you using to make your vignette? knitr? If its flexible
enough you could just style a table to look very much like what I see
when I run View, and tell the reader this is an approximation. I don't
know if markdown source is flexible enough to control the visual
appearance of a table, but you could do this in LaTeX with knitr.

You *could* possibly do a screengrab of a live View window, but if you
have to run your vignette on a headless server that means running a
display server screen to do the grab from.

I'd go with styling a good-looking fake table.

Barry