[R-pkg-devel] NOTE with unusual but theoretically allowed person roles

Miguel Menéndez miguelmo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 08:47:45 CET 2017

While checking a package as cran with R 3.3.2 (Windows 8 and Ubuntu 16.04),
I am getting a NOTE about person roles which are unusual but theoretically
allowed.

In the DESCRIPTION file I set:

Authors at R: c(
  person("First", "Person", email = "me at mail.com", role = c("aut", "cre")),
  person("Second", "Person", role = c("dtc", "csl")))
Author: First Person [aut, cre],
  Second Person [dtc, csl]

Then I get a NOTE:

Author field differs from that derived from Authors at R
  Author:    'First Person [aut, cre], Second Person [dtc, csl]'
  Authors at R: 'First Person [aut, cre], Second Person [dtc]'

If I delete the role 'csl', the note dissapears.

It seems that R code is not allowing the role 'csl' (Consultant), although
it is in the MARC Code List for Relators (https://www.loc.gov/marc/rela
tors/relaterm.html)

If I run the code in the console, apparently Authors at R and Authors fit, so
I don't understand the NOTE:

> c(person("First", "Person", email = "me at mail.com", role = c("aut",
"cre")),
      person("Second", "Person", role = c("dtc", "csl")))
[1] "First Person <me at mail.com> [aut, cre]"
[2] "Second Person [dtc, csl]"

I get more confused when I run the same code in r-fiddle.org and I get a
different output:
Invalid role specification: 'dtc'.
[1] "First Person <me at mail.com> [aut, cre]"
[2] "Second Person [csl]"

I have tried with other roles not included as suggested in ?person, such as
'pdr' (Project director), or 'sad' (Scientific advisor), with the same
problem.

I can just consider the second person as a contributor and go on, but... is
this an expected behavour? What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.