[R-pkg-devel] package listed in RdMacros field in file DESCRIPTION not installed by travis

Georgi Boshnakov georgi.boshnakov at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 17:06:49 CET 2017

Hi,

Background context:

Field RdMacros was introduced in file DESCRIPTION to allow users to import LaTeX-like macros from other packages.
The idea is to put a line

RdMacros: XXX

and then use macros from package XXX in the documentation of your package.
Package XXX does not need to be list in Imposts/Depends/Suggests.

A user of my package Rdpack reported a problem he encountered on travis,
see https://travis-ci.org/ISAAKiel/mortAAR/builds/209313379 and the excerps from our correspondence below.
(The warning in that report is misleading, package Rdpack is not installed by the build system.)

My guess is that that build system checks the Imposts/Depends/Suggests fields but not RdMacros
but I don't use such systems (yet) and hope to hear from others.

A small package that can be used to test this is  available at
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~gb/testRdMacro_0.0.2.tar.gz
(and this is the source: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~gb/testRdMacro_src.tar.gz).

Thanks,
Georgi