[R-pkg-devel] AppVeyor with LinkingTo: field

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Feb 13 16:19:49 CET 2017

On 13 February 2017 at 09:05, Tim Keitt wrote:
| My tests are failing on AppVeyor because BH is not available. How do I
| force AppVeyor to install the package? It is in the LinkingTo: field, but
| my tests call sourceCpp and it fails there. The Cpp code has the "depends"
| directive for BH. It is either not being installed or is absent from the
| test environment. Thought I would try to modify .appveyor.yml and force a
| BH install. What's the trick?

It is a design shortcoming in R's dependency mechanism.  A 'LinkingTo:' used
this way is a 'Build-Depends' but not recognised by the code doing the
installations for you which installs only (run-time) Depends.

I don't use AppVeyor, and when I use Travis with my maintained fork of the
initial scheme [1], I install packages explicitly.  I like having that control,
and that is one of the reason I use that scheme.

Dirk

[1] http://eddelbuettel.github.io/r-travis/

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org