[R-pkg-devel] UseR! Session: Navigating the jungle of R packages.

Michael Dewey lists at dewey.myzen.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 15:29:15 CET 2017

Dear all

That seems an interesting session. I am the maintainer of one of the
CRAN Task Views (MetaAnalysis) and will attend unless I am successful in
the draw for Wimbledon tickets.

Just in case I strike lucky one question I would have raised from the
floor if I were there would have been "Does anyone read the Task
Views?". Since I started mine I have received only a couple of
suggestions for additions including a very abrupt one about a package
which had been included for months but whose author clearly did not read
before writing. So I would ask whether we need to focus much energy on
the Task Views.

So, maybe see you there, maybe not.

On 16/01/2017 14:57, ProfJCNash wrote:
> Navigating the Jungle of R Packages
>
> The R ecosystem has many packages in various collections,
> especially CRAN, Bioconductor, and GitHub. While this
> richness of choice speaks to the popularity and
> importance of R, the large number of contributed packages
> makes it difficult for users to find appropriate tools for
> their work.
>
> A session on this subject has been approved for UseR! in
> Brussels. The tentative structure is three short
> introductory presentations, followed by discussion or
> planning work to improve the tools available to help
> users find the best R package and function for their needs.
>
> The currently proposed topics are
>
> - wrapper packages that allow diverse tools that perform
>   similar functions to be accessed by unified calls
>
> - collaborative mechanisms to create and update Task Views
>
> - search and sort tools to find packages.
>
> At the time of writing we have tentative presenters for
> the topics, but welcome others. We hope these presentations
> at useR! 2017 will be part of a larger discussion that will
> contribute to an increased team effort after the conference
> to improve the the support for R users in these areas.
>

> John Nash, Julia Silge, Spencer Graves

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html