[R-pkg-devel] Problem compiling openssl package (FreeBSD stable/11)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 19 16:02:12 CET 2017

On 18 January 2017 at 16:44, David Wolfskill wrote:
| OK; thanks (again!) for your hints. :-)
|
| I was able puzzle through things enough to determine that re-invoking
| install.packages() as
|
| 	install.packages("~/R/Rtmp4VjFtY/dhw/openssl", repos = NULL)
|
| (in my case) would allow me to work with my copy of the sources; some
| experimentation^Whacking later,

Glad you have something, you still made your life harder than you should
have.  The _canonical_ and _documented_ way (and yes, there is basically an
entire manual dedicated to this which came with your version of R) is to

    R CMD build foo/
    R CMD check foo_1.2.3.tar.gz
    R CMD INSTALL foo_1.2.3.tar.gz

Working from sources works, cleaning up every once in a while and working
from pristine source is recommended for a reason.

Don't mean to call you out here, mostly leaving it for the next person
refusing to read the manual and ending up here by other means.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org