[R-pkg-devel] Weird MAKEFLAGS bug

Costas Tsirogiannis analekta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:55:02 CET 2017

Greetings and thanks for previously offered solutions,

I am developing a package that makes use of C++ code, and I want to compile
this code for testing reasons with the "R CMD SHLIB" command. Using Ubuntu
and gcc 5.4, and because for certain reasons I have to use the c++0x
standard, I try the following command:

> MAKEFLAGS='CXXFLAGS=-std=c++0x -lpthread -O2' R CMD SHLIB MyMainCode.cpp

For some weird reason, flag -O2 is not recognized properly and I get the
following error message:

> make: *** unknown output-sync type '2'.  Stop.

If I try -O3, I get "unknown output-sync type '3' ", and so on. Everything
works fine if I drop this optimization flag. Could you suggest a workaround
for that?

thanks in advance,

--Constantinos