[R-pkg-devel] Fwd: Please help with unexplainable check --as-cran warning for Rd file with \usage{\S4method{[[<-}{M1}(x, i, value)}

Markus Müller markus.mueller.1.g at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:32:23 CET 2016

Hi

I have build a small example package to reproduce the issue.
The usage lines with S4method work well for all other methods including
overloaded operators (In my example package I  put [[ as an example)

The actual warning only occurs for the method overloading "[[<-"

** checking Rd \usage sections ... WARNINGBad \usage lines found in
documentation object '[[<-,M1-method':  <unescaped
bksl>S4method{[[<-}{M1}(x,  i,  value)Functions with \usage entries need to
have the appropriate \aliasentries, and all their arguments documented.The
\usage entries must correspond to syntactically valid R code.*

The example code for this operator works.

The funny thing is that when I comment the usage line in the Rd file the
warning vanishes.
Although as a programmer I know that usually "the library isn't broken"
(but rather my code)  this almost seems like it ;-)
At least I have no clue what to do to get a proper usage line.

the pkg.tar.bz2 contains the whole package directory before building.
The built package is OverloadedIndexedAssignment_0.1.tar.gz
along with the check dir and the log.

Cheers and Thanks in advance