[R-pkg-devel] Packages extending ggplot2 and ggplot2 2.2.0

Pedro J. Aphalo pedro.aphalo at helsinki.fi
Sat Nov 12 18:38:54 CET 2016

Hello,

What is the best way to handle the need to reinstall FROM SOURCES
packages ggpmisc, ggspectra, ggrepel, etc. after updating ggplot2 to the
current version?

The message:
"Error: StatPeaks was built with an incompatible version of ggproto.
Please reinstall the package that provides this extension."

under Windows may be confusing as reinstalling using the default, from
binaries, will not solve the problem.
Will binaries be rebuilt in CRAN? I guess not because they would not
work with ggplot2 (< 2.2.0)...

So, my question is, as maintainer of ggpmisc and ggspectra, should I
release new versions that import ggplot2 (>= 2.2.0)?

This would be easy enough, and in the case of ggspectra there are
already some bug fixes that would be good to include in a release. In
the case of ggpmisc, I have submitted a version to CRAN quite recently.

Best regards,

Pedro.

Pedro J. Aphalo
University Lecturer, Principal Investigator
(Office 3805, Biocenter 3, Viikinkaari 1)

Department of Biosciences
Plant Biology
P.O. Box 65
00014 University of Helsinki