[R-pkg-devel] building binary gives error when trying to load

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:56:07 CET 2016

On 01/11/2016 9:49 AM, Rampal Etienne wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When I try to build a Windows binary in RStudio using R-devel,
> everything goes well until the packages is tested whether it can be
> loaded. I then get the error:
>
> ** testing if installed package can be loaded *** arch - i386 Error:
> '\U' used without hex digits in character string starting "'C:\U"
> Execution halted *** arch - x64 Error: '\U' used without hex digits in
> character string starting "'C:\U" Execution halted ERROR: loading failed
> for 'i386', 'x64' * removing
> 'C:\Users\rampa\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp0o1Fm1\temp_libpath1cd445c31688/SADISA'
> Error: Command failed (1) Execution halted Exited with status 1.

That looks like a bug.  It's in R, not RStudio.  To reproduce, start
cmd.exe, and switch to a directory containing a source tarball or a
source directory, and run

R CMD INSTALL --build <tarball>

For instance, when I do that with the tables package, I get

D:\svn\MyR>R CMD INSTALL --build tables
* installing to library 'f:\cygwin\home\murdoch\R\win-library\3.4'
* installing *source* package 'tables' ...
** R
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error: '\c' is an unrecognized escape in character string starting "'f:\c"
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing 'f:\cygwin\home\murdoch\R\win-library\3.4/tables'
* restoring previous 'f:\cygwin\home\murdoch\R\win-library\3.4/tables'

It appears that the script is building paths including unescaped
backslashes when it constructs the library path.  You can probably work
around it by specifying the library path explicitly.  Since you were
installing into a temporary library, that's a little tricky, but for
most people it should be easy.

I'll see if I can track it down and fix it.

Duncan Murdoch