[R-pkg-devel] Use of \alias{} versus \concept{}

Michael Dewey lists at dewey.myzen.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 15:22:58 CEST 2016

In my CRAN package metap I implement a number of techniques which have
multiple names. So, for instance, what I call sumz is also called sum of
normals, and Stouffer's method. I decided it would be kinder if they
were documented under all the names I know. Looking at the trusty manual
I see that \alias{x} does not need to just define an R object so that
works OK and puts the name, x, in the package index. But I also notice
that there is \concept{x} which does not index x but makes it findable
by help.search.

Is the sole reason for \concept{} to enable documenting something which
does not make it to the index or is there some subtlety which I am missing?

And of course any other advice, especially "Don't do that" is welcome.

--
Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html