[R-pkg-devel] Understanding notes from win-builder

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 19:22:42 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
<roy.mendelssohn at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I am working on preparing a package for submission to CRAN, so using devtools i submitted the package to win-builder.  I really appreciate that this has been setup, so that hopefully any final submission will be smooth.  win-builder returned three notes, and I am unclear on them in the sense of not certain what I should do to resolve them so hopefully there will  be no notes on submission.  The first one is:
>
>> The Title field starts with the package name.
>> The Title field should be in title case, current version then in title case:
>> 'xtractomatic: An R package for accessing environmental data'
>> 'Xtractomatic: An R Package for Accessing Environmental Data'
>>

> the package name is "xtractomatic", but is the last line what is preferred in the DESCRIPTION file?

On CRAN (and in other locations), packages are listed as
"package_name: package_title", which in your case would lead to:

xtractomatic: xtractomatic: An R package for accessing environmental data

So you need to first eliminate "xtractomatic" from the title.  CRAN
generally also considers "an R package" to be obvious from the context
so you also need to remove that. That leaves you with "Accessing
Environmental Data" and suggests you might want to be a bit more
specific.

> The other two notes are essentially the same:
>
>> * checking examples ...
>> ** running examples for arch 'i386' ... [87s] NOTE
>> Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
>>            user system elapsed
>> xtracto    3.29   0.81   36.49
>> xtracto_3D 3.14   0.64   31.40
>> xtractogon 0.92   0.20   10.73
>> ** running examples for arch 'x64' ... [104s] NOTE
>> Examples with CPU or elapsed time > 10s
>>            user system elapsed
>> xtracto    2.83   0.64   43.68
>> xtracto_3D 2.58   0.72   43.60
>>

> I assume the problem here is the amount of time to run the examples.  The problem is that what this package does is download data from a remote server, and times can vary a lot on the examples.  Is this a show stopper when I submit to CRAN?  I can try to simplify the examples to cut down on the time.  Alternatively, will it help to include this in the cram-comments.md file?

You can use \donttest{} to tell CRAN to not run it as part of their
automated tests.

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz