[R-pkg-devel] Note and warning about subdirectory sizes

S johnson stellajohnson630 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:05:57 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I am running check() on an R package, and receive one note and one warning
(seem to be related):

* checking installed package size ... NOTE
  installed size is 25.9Mb
  sub-directories of 1Mb or more:

    doc       3.4Mb
    extdata  22.1Mb

* checking sizes of PDF files under ‘inst/doc’ ... WARNING
  ‘gs+qpdf’ made some significant size reductions:
     compacted ‘ePort.pdf’ from 1655Kb to 1076Kb
  consider running tools::compactPDF(gs_quality = "ebook") on these files

After pondering this note, I have three brief questions as follows,

1) When I run "du -hs" on the doc sub-directory, it lists its size as
only 10K. There is only one file inside the doc sub-directory, and
similarly, when I run "du -hs" on that one file, it lists its size as
only 10K. I wonder, then, why check() reports that this sub-directory
called doc is 3.4 Mb?

2) My extdata sub-directory is rather large. It is certainly over 1Mb.
This is due to a few dozen example images (.png files) that we feel is
important to include in the package. In general, do notes like these prevent
CRAN submission acceptance? If so, what would be an alternative? I
imagine there were other packages that had extdata subdirectory with
example components that are larger than 1Mb - and upon a Google search
that seems to be the case. Still, I wanted to seek your input!

3) I am unfamiliar with what I should consider running compactPDF() on.
None of the files are PDF files. The doc sub-directory has one .R file, and
the extdata sub-directory has .R files, .png files (taking up the most
space), and .txt files.

Thank you!