[R-pkg-devel] C++11: which is currently the most portable option?

Costas Tsirogiannis analekta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:46:18 CEST 2016

Greetings,

I am developing a package that uses C++ code, and I want to use some
classes from the C++11 standard. In fact I just want to use std::thread
which is supported even by the old weird -std=c++0x option. Since the
support of the C++11 standard increases more and more as time goes by,  I
would like to ask what is the best flag that I should use in the Makevars
file so as to make my package portable with as many as possible available
compilers? Should it be std=c++0x or std=c++11, or some other option ?

thanks,

--Constantinos