[R-pkg-devel] Compiler choice on CRAN (R-windows-oldrel)

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:20:54 CEST 2016

Dear listers,

Compilation of my gower pkg fails on R-oldrel-windows. I am pretty sure
that this is because it uses gcc 4.6.3 which has limited support for OpenMP
(the errors are the same as I got on the old travis-ci build environment,
see my related question[1]).

Now, according to the Rtools page[2], since R3.2.2 "Both the gcc 4.6.3
toolchain and a toolchain based on gcc 4.9.3 and mingw-w64 v3 are now
included." Not sure what that says about CRAN, but I'm hoping/guessing it
uses Rtools the same way as we do.

So I guess I have the following options:

- make my package depend on R>=3.3
- Alter my code (as kindly suggested by Ott Toomet in [1])
- Tell CRAN to use the modern compiler.

Obviously, the latter would be easiest. Is this is even possible? For a
local installation I could set an environment variable[3], but how about
doing this at CRAN?

Thanks,
Mark

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2016q3/000983.html