[R-pkg-devel] Wrapping a third-party c++ library

Sean Davis seandavi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:13:56 CEST 2016

I am trying to wrap a third-party toolkit that provides a C++ API.  The code is open source and includes a license that allows me to include it directly in an R package.  Right now, I am happy if I can get ANY build (linux, windows, or Mac) working.  The rough build process looks like that given here (starting at the highlighted line):

https://github.com/seandavi/SRA2R/blob/master/inst/docker/install_ngs_sdk.sh#L22

Unfortunately, these configure scripts are not standard autoconfig flavor, so they seem pretty fragile (even with a —prefix, they try to install stuff into system libraries).  My goal is to include the source of the two partner libraries and build shared libraries in the R installation hierarchy.  I simply do not have enough experience using configure scripts to know how to translate what I have noted above into something that would be expected to get the installation right in the r package directory and allow linking.

Any concrete suggestions about how to move this forward are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean