[R-pkg-devel] Handling Not-Always-Needed Dependencies?

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:32:11 CEST 2016

After reading the link in Dirk's initial reply, how about adding
fields 'Recommends'
and 'Build-Depends' to DESCRIPTION as in Debian?

Recommends: only gets installed, can be used via if(requireNamespace())
from the package and in pkg tests[1]. [Debian: The Recommends field should
list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual
installations.]
Build-Depends: gets installed before build, removed after.
Suggests: only installed when requested at install.packages() and only used
in examples/vignettes.

If 'tons of packages' are using if(requireNamespace) in their package code
there seems to be a need for something like this. Compliance to the above
can be checked automatically and  a gradual implementation via
NOTE->WARNING->ERROR in R CMD check seems possible.

Perhaps more controversially a 'Breaks' field could be considered. There
are a few packages out there that have many, many, dependencies.
Implementing breaking updates currently depends on the willingness of many
authors to update their package or convincing the CRAN maintainers to allow
for (temporary) breakage.

The suggestion to have functions auto-install things is very inconvenient
for the good reasons pointed out by Thomas. Additionally, it is often based
on the wrong assumptions. Example: the RGtk2 package has this habit of
trying to install when libgtk2 is not on the path. But in my case that is
often exactly the case: it is just not on the path (libgtk2 is on the
network, the VM just doesn't know yet). So I'd rather have a proper and
accurate error message (which is good practice anyway).

Best,
Mark

[1] actually, once we know a pkg is Recommended, the 'if(requireNamespace)'
could even be absorbed in the :: operator.

Op wo 3 aug. 2016 om 01:46 schreef Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com