[R-pkg-devel] relation between vignettes and help files

Tom Wainwright thomas.wainwright at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 15 21:02:34 CEST 2016

>From a user perspective, I think a distinction needs to be made between
three things: help files, demos, and vignettes. I expect the help file for
functions to explain the API and (briefly) the methods implemented (with
references) and to have a few terse but useful examples in the Examples
section that can at least help a user understand the basic calls and main
options. Vignettes and demos are aimed more at the package rather than
function level; personally, I find vignettes more useful than demos.
Vignettes should provide more extensive use-case instances with explanation
of how and why the package might be applied. Demos tend to provide more
extensive sets of examples; I use them mostly for complicated graphics
(images, plotmath, etc.) where I can scan through a set of demos and find
some code that is close to what I want.

As far as linking from help to vignettes, for CRAN packages all the
vignettes appear on the web, and I would think it would be easy and
reliable to include html links to the vignettes on CRAN (assuming CRAN
doesn't mess about with web file hierarchies). This has a couple minor
issues I can think of: It won't help those working without internet access,
and it would link to vignettes for the current package version, not the
installed version. I suspect those problems are rare, and in those cases
users can poke around in the install directories to find what they need.
The reverse linking (vignettes to help) won't really work that way, as the
Reference Manuals on CRAN are in single PDF files not indexed by function,
but anyone clever enough to work through a vignette in R should already
know how to find their local help pages.

 Tom