[R-pkg-devel] relation between vignettes and help files

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:49:16 CEST 2016

Afaik the only way to link to a vignette from the help file is to instruct
the reader to do something like

vignette('intro','mypkg')

On the R command-line.

In general, the Rd files describe the public API of your pkg. Each exported
function should have a help file that ideally can be read and understood in
isolation. The vignettes can provide walk-throughs for tasks that require a
sequence of functions to be called. This helps the user to get around the
package by focusing on tasks.

Although you will probably duplicate a little information, try to focus  on
subject matter in the vignette, while focusing on the technical aspects in
the Rd files.

Hope that helps,
Mark