[R-pkg-devel] Bilingual (English and Portuguese) documentation in an R package

Lucas Ferreira Mation lucasmation at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:39:28 CEST 2016

Note: this was posted in this Stack Overflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37288823/bilingual-english-and-portuguese-documentation-in-an-r-package?noredirect=1#comment62102883_37288823>
question, where I was advised to cross post here.

I am writing a package to facilitate importing Brazilian socio-economic
microdata sets (Census, PNAD, etc). I foresee two distinct groups of users
of the package:

   -

   Users in Brazil, who may feel more at ease with the documentation in
   Portuguese. The probably can understand English to some extent, but a
   foreign language would probably make the package feel less "ergonomic".
   -

   The broader international users community, from whom English
   documentation may be a necessary condition.

Is it possible to write a package in a way that the documentation is
"bilingual" (English and Portuguese), and that the language shown to the
user will depend on their country/language settings?

Also,

Is that doable within the roxygen2 documentation framework?

I realise there is a tradeoff of making the package more user-friendly by
making it bilingual vs. the increased complexity and difficulty to
maintain. General comments on this tradeoff from previous expirience are
also welcome.