[R-pkg-devel] Data-generating scripts in R packages

Kevin Coombes kevin.r.coombes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:52:03 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm currently developing an R package that includes a small data set
along with the functions that I want to export. I have an R script that
generates the data set; the computation time is long (well, relative to
the size of the data set). So, my plan is to run the script and save()
the data set as an *.rda file that I can put in the data directory.  (It
is possible that some users of the package will _only_ be interested in
the data set.)

But, I'd like to keep the script with the package, both because it shows
how to use some of the functions and because I might want to modify how
the data set is generated in the future.  My question: What is the "best
practice" for where in the package directory structure to store such a
script?

Best,
   Kevin

---