[R-pkg-devel] Packages that depend on third-party binaries

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at posteo.de
Sun Jan 24 00:12:01 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have a package that might be useful for a lot of my colleagues.  It
provides functions for reading a binary file format generated by
measurement instruments by a specific manufacturer.  Eventually, I would
like to make this package available on CRAN.

One problem is that this package uses a binary blob provided by said
manufacturer.  I understand that it is not allowed to include binaries
in R packages.  The question is, what else can I do?  Are there any
recommendations or best practices that one should follow in this
situation?  Any example of existing CRAN packages that deal with this
problem?

I suppose one solution would be that the R code installs without the
binary but warns when the user tries to use it without having installed
the binary.  In this scenario, it would be the user’s responsibility to
make sure that the binary is correctly installed.  If the user fails to
do that, the package is completely useless.  Of course this also has
implications for the sample code in the man pages which is not
guaranteed to work and will certainly not work on CRAN build servers.

  Titus