[R-pkg-devel] Run-away R CMD check ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 12 17:34:27 CET 2015

On 12 December 2015 at 11:00, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 12/12/2015 9:30 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > For Rcpp and friends, I frequently run 'R CMD check' in "batch mode" over a
| > large set of packages.  That works fine, apart from taking long :)
| >
| > I am using the exact same script (which is home-grown and could do with a
| > revision, but is public at [1] -- basically just a big loop over a set of
| > packages), and the exact same ~/.R/check.Renviron.
| >
| > Yet on the (bigger, better, newerm ...) machine at work I have three packages
| > which get into a loop and never finish R CMD check.
| >
| > Any idea why / how and what to do?  Besides skipping these three packages
| > which I'll do next?
| >
| > The only commonality is that all three use testthat, but so do many other
| > packages that test fine.
| >
| > Dirk
| >
| > [1] https://github.com/RcppCore/rcpp-logs/blob/master/scripts/runRcppDepends.r
| >

| I'd put a time limit on the process so it fails eventually, and then see
| what the log shows just before the failure.  That is, I would if I could
| remember how to do that.

Yes. I thought about watcher processes too. But I haven't come up with
something simple enough to implement.

So for now I will just skip those three bad boys. Two of them, as I recall,
are merely unreasonable and finish after a while.  The other way ran all night.

I'd love to know how CRAN deals with that, or understand better why it
doesn't bite me on the server at home.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org