[R-pkg-devel] golang based package for R msgpack and websocket work (RMQ)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 27 21:12:53 CET 2015

On 27 October 2015 at 12:51, Jason E. Aten wrote:
| Re PPAs: good question.
|
| I did some digging. The ubuntu 14 PPA that I found (https://launchpad.net/
| ~eugenesan/+ppa-packages) was already out of date (having go1.5 not go1.5.1)
| when I tried it on a test cloud box running ubuntu 14.

I found this one which is current for go 1.5.1:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/lxd-stable

Debian unstable is fine; testing may be soon

| I think the best way to get Go on a CRAN build box is to do a simple binary
| install with the following two lines. This has the big advantage that it will
| work on any flavor of linux on amd64, since the go binaries are statically
| linked. i.e. any version of ubuntu, fedora, centos, redhat, etc.  (Full
| details: https://golang.org/doc/install  lists the exact architectures that the
| binary tarballs support, encompassing FreeBSD, Linux, Windows, and OSX and
| which architectures for each.)
|

| sudo curl https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.5.1.linux-amd64.tar.gz | su
| do tar xz -C /usr/local/
|
| sudo echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin' >> /etc/profile
|
| NB This will install the "go" binary to /usr/local/go/bin/go. The install
| location /usr/local/go is baked into the go1.5.1.linux-amd64.tar.gz binary as
| the default GOROOT location, so it can't be moved without setting the GOROOT
| env variable as well.
|

| So that's what I would recommend.  Any questions, let me know if know.

I cannot speak for CRAN but based on my experience this may be a bit of long
shot.  Maybe you can offer them a Docker image or something less intrusive at
the system level.

But I could also be too pessimistic. You should probably just ask CRAN.  But
right now, with the somewhat advanced system requirements, you may just get
asked to wait.  Dunno.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org