[R-pkg-devel] R-devel installation and libcurl

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 19:37:06 CEST 2015

> On 16 Oct 2015, at 18:33 , Martyn Plummer <plummerM at iarc.fr> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2015-10-16 at 21:46 +1100, Jim Lemon wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have been attempting to install R-devel to check updated packages for
>> CRAN. After reading the relevant section in R Installation and
>> Administration, searching and a lot of unsuccessful fiddling with
>> "configure", I thought I might as well ask.
>>
>> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>> Running under: Fedora 21 (Twenty One)
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
>> [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
>> [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
>> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
>> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>
>> configure hits the wall when checking for libcurl. I installed libcurl
>> v7.37.0 and while it is recognized, I have not succeeded in getting it to
>> find curl.h (it's in /usr/include/curl/curl.h). R Installation ahd
>> Administration seems to suggest that the path information should be put in
>> MkRules.local. However, that file is nowhere to be found. Neither can I
>> find any variable in "configure" that specifies where to look for curl.h.
>>
>> I'm sure that this is very simple, but if anyone can provide a method to
>> stop the:

>> checking curl/curl.h usability... no
>> checking curl/curl.h presence... no
>> checking for curl/curl.h... no
>> configure: error: libcurl >= 7.28.0 library and headers are required with
>> support for https
>>
>> error I would be most grateful.
>
> This may be a little bit off topic for this list, since it is not an
> issue with your package, but I'll try to answer anyway.

Also, a generic piece of advice: configure doesn't always get its error messages precisely right. Sometimes it is useful to go through the config.log and see exactly what program failed to compile with what error message. It's not that unusual to see an include file test program failing due to wrong compiler flags or libraries.

-pd