[R-pkg-devel] Using the correct R binary in configure script

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 22:29:57 CEST 2015

> On 26 Sep 2015, at 17:43 , Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>
> R_HOME is set to the result of the command R RHOME if and only it is unset.
>
> And it usually is unset.

Did you actually mean that, Dirk? I would expect that R_HOME would be set by "myR CMD whatever" before it got to the configure script, so that the default R would only be used as a last resort. And R rather actively defends itself against R_HOME being set in its environment.

E.g.

$ R_HOME=/tmp R CMD env | grep R_HOME
WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
R_HOME=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources

(I'm not sure that it is actually supposed to work, but apparently R CMD foo executes 'foo' in the same environment as R CMD check et al.)

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501