[R-pkg-devel] Redefinition of generic for plot function breaks plot.formula

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:54:51 CEST 2015

It's not just plot.formula that is broken; plot.lm is dead too for example.
It's seems that just unexported methods fail to be called. This works
plot(ts(1:100)), correctly calling the plot.ts method.

What you must be doing overwriting the plot generic seems to be clobbering
S3 dispatch or killing the registration of those methods such that they
never get called.

I think you might need to take this to R Devel to ask what is happening to
S3 dispatch when you modify the generic (by providing your own), unless
someone else here knows what is going on?

If this isn't a problem in R, it looks like it would be easier all round to
follow Prof. Ripley's other advice/option and add a new class to data.frame
objects and provide a method for that new class...

HTH

Gavin Simpson, PhD