[R-pkg-devel] recursive dependencies and install.packages()

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 19 21:57:24 CEST 2015

Dear list members,

My question was prompted by a message from a user indicating that loading
the Rcmdr package following installation via install.packages("Rcmdr")
failed in the manner I indicated, with the indirect dependency ggplot2
missing.

I thought that I was able to duplicate this error by deleting the Rcmdr,
RcmdrMisc, Hmisc, and ggplot packages from the R 3.2.2 library on my Windows
10 system and then reinstalling the Rcmdr package via
install.packages("Rcmdr"). But when I tried installing the Rcmdr on a
Windows (8) machine with a newly installed R 3.2.2, I was unable to
duplicate the error. That is, everything worked fine, including the
recursively installed ggplot2 dependency.

I subsequently uninstalled R 3.2.2 from my Windows 10 machine, deleted the R
3.2.2 library, and reinstalled R 3.2.2 and the Rcmdr package. Again,
everything worked as expected.

So I expect that my original message reflected idiosyncratic errors (the
source of which I don't understand) -- and that recursive dependencies are
in fact resolved as I understood, and as implied by ?install.packages.

My apologies for what appears to be a false alarm.

John