[R-pkg-devel] Writing vignette and help files

Glenn Schultz glennmschultz at me.com
Wed Aug 19 16:19:27 CEST 2015

Hello All,

The package that I am working no longer gives warnings upon closing connections and syntax is used properly (and understood - thanks to all that answered my questions).  I have two questions regarding package documentation.

Any special considerations when creating multiple vignettes?

I am working on the vignette using markdown and knitr and I was thinking of breaking this into three vignettes.
How to use the package
More detail on functions
Outline of classes
When does one consider a package ready to submit to CRAN?

The package passes the check in R Studio
Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux
It will be fully documented once I finish the vignettes
What it needs:
Friendly error exit (teaching myself about better error messages and nicer exiting)
Accessor functions
 I have been working on this package for about 2-1/2 years. I expect I could work on the above items for another 12 months.  Is it a requirement that the "nicer" error messaging needs to done before submitting to CRAN?  Right now, my package could replace a Bloomberg terminal for MBS pass-throughs and REMICs provided one has access to the required cusip data which is free and open source from the GSE websites (FNMA, FHLMC, and GNMA).

- Glenn