[R-pkg-devel] browseURL in examples

Berry Boessenkool berryboessenkool at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:12:22 CEST 2015

Hi all,

In the CRAN package policies [1], it says

"Packages should not start external software (such as PDF viewers or
browsers) during examples or tests unless that specific instance of
the software is explicitly closed afterwards."

If I want to refer to a website with browseURL in the examples,
what's the most elegant way to do it?

\dontrun --> obtrusive "## not run" parts, confuse new R-users
# browseURL("www.link.html") --> user must uncomment things

Or do you think links should only be used in Vignettes / References section?

In this case, it's a reference to a statistical method,
and yes, I slightly feel like I'm misusing the examples section.
But I think that's where most people explore function usage...

Thanks for any ideas and thoughts,
Berry

[1]
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html