[R-pkg-devel] .tar vs. binary builds

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 00:10:23 CEST 2015

On 03/08/2015 4:31 PM, Glenn Schultz wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a package which I would like to distribute.  However, there are some classes that are not exported if I provide a tar file can the user decompress the tar to the source and then export class.  I am thinking the answer is year since the tar is source code.  Conversely, a binary build would prohibit this - correct?

If you distribute a binary file, your package will soon become obsolete:
 they are tied to particular versions of R and particular platforms.

If you want wide exposure for your package, you should distribute it as
a source package on CRAN.  It's more work than self-publishing (because
you need to meet their requirements), but it will improve your package.

If your package is distributed in any other way, some people (like me)
will advise against using it at all.