[R-pkg-devel] Appropriate place to post about CRAN check environments etc.

MAURICIO ZAMBRANO BIGIARINI mauricio.zambrano at ufrontera.cl
Tue Jul 21 17:04:46 CEST 2015

On 21 July 2015 at 11:46, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/07/2015 9:01 AM, ProfJCNash wrote:
>>
>> There has been some disagreement on where it is appropriate to post
>> questions about package checking procedures, including the building of
>> the environment e.g., R-devel under Linux Mint.
>>
>> In looking at https://www.r-project.org/mail.html, it seems to me that
>> the procedures belong with r-package-devel, but there doesn't seem to be
>> a good home for the consequent need to build R-devel to do this. Have I
>> missed the appropriate list?
>>
>> It seems to me that the volume of queries of this sort, and the success
>> of WinBuilder, suggest we could seriously use similar a Linbuilder and
>> MacBuilder (and possibly others). There's a lot of duplicated effort
>> being wasted on the R-devel side in particular.
>>
>> Is there sufficient interest to
>> - make the effort to emulate Winbuilder for Linux and/or Mac
>> - coordinate the volunteer effort
>> - fund/support the necessary infrastructure (it could be worth a modest
>> contribution to save effort)?
>>
>> For the record, I'm willing to participate. I've managed to set up Linux
>> Mint VirtualBox instances that run R current and R devel for testing,
>> though I find I must do more work than I'd like to maintain things,
>> likely as a result of my own limited skills.
>
> That sounds like the sort of project the R Consortium would support.
> They are just getting started, but soon they will have a committee set
> up to decide on projects, and presumably soon after that will have a
> process in place to solicit them.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

In my humble opinion, such a project could be of great utility to
several people that is starting to migrate to GNU/Linux, or to people
willing to test their packages with the latest development version of
R but without all the knowledge to properly set up the environment on
their local machines.

If I can contribute to a "LinBuilder" (e.g., testing), I would be
willing to do it.

Kind regards,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini, PhD

Dept. of Civil Engineering