[R-pkg-devel] Appropriate place to post about CRAN check environments etc.

ProfJCNash profjcnash at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:01:45 CEST 2015

There has been some disagreement on where it is appropriate to post
questions about package checking procedures, including the building of
the environment e.g., R-devel under Linux Mint.

In looking at https://www.r-project.org/mail.html, it seems to me that
the procedures belong with r-package-devel, but there doesn't seem to be
a good home for the consequent need to build R-devel to do this. Have I
missed the appropriate list?

It seems to me that the volume of queries of this sort, and the success
of WinBuilder, suggest we could seriously use similar a Linbuilder and
MacBuilder (and possibly others). There's a lot of duplicated effort
being wasted on the R-devel side in particular.

Is there sufficient interest to
- make the effort to emulate Winbuilder for Linux and/or Mac
- coordinate the volunteer effort
- fund/support the necessary infrastructure (it could be worth a modest
contribution to save effort)?

For the record, I'm willing to participate. I've managed to set up Linux
Mint VirtualBox instances that run R current and R devel for testing,
though I find I must do more work than I'd like to maintain things,
likely as a result of my own limited skills.

JN